Life 2013, a set on Flickr.
OVERVIEW OF 2013.
Year 2013 is the best year of my life. It's the last year of my 20's and starting from Feb 1 of 2013, I made a personal mission to make this year my happiest by living it to the fullest, no regrets. I have so much to be thankful for, and I've never been happier this year than any other. I've been working on something since my birthday and will be revealing it when I turn 30. I can't say I'm super excited to turn 30, but I will gladly leave my 20's behind. I look back on all my years of writing these overviews 2012, 2011, 2010,.. that I've matured a lot in the last 3-4 years, when looking back at my old entries, I find myself disgusting. That's how you know you've grown right? :)
The best memories..
I have too many good memories this year that none of them can surely be the best.
- Watching friends get married and engaged (Mai)
- Getting my first real food poisoning from eating random crap I've never eaten in Chinatown, Flushing.
- Went to Queens for the very first time in all my years being in NY (Thanks Mike)
- After my 5 year long relationship, cut my long hair and started sporting it short like it's no big deal.
- Held a Glock for the first time at my uncle's house
- Got one too many pairs of Louboutins (ok like 5)
- Had my first experience of 3 Michelin Star restaurant at Eleven Madison Park
- Fired someone for the first time at work. Ok I fired 2 ppl.
- The smell of morning air at 6am filling in my lungs at Central Park Spring/Summers
- Watching a dog run so freely in central park 6am that makes me feel like that's my spirit animal
- My Linkedin Redesign made it on Gizmodo and Techblock
- Got an interview at Ignition Creative in LA, they make movie sites
- Learned more about SF tech companies and interviewed at Linkedin, Netflix, Google, Foursquare.
- Learning that staying in NYC for now is what I really want.
- Got my Lot18 App featured on Behance.
- Made icons for the first time in my life and almost got it featured on SmashingMag (missed bc Xmas)
Things I would like to have in 2014 that I lacked in 2013..
Focus and Discipline. For the majority of my 2013, about 8 months or so, I've experienced Designer burnout. I wasn't able to stay driven and inspired with my designs and looked for ways to validate myself among my peers. With year 30 approaching, I spent a lot of time this year self-evaluating and procrastinating my time. I've tried to live this year to the fullest, and it wasn't a year that I focused on my career, I've spent all my energy in the beginning of 2013. I realized that when I do projects that I love, I can design better things that I may gain recognition for. I will re-focus in 2014, on the things that I love to do, and have the discipline to balance work with my health. For my 20's I've always put work in front of everything, and for 2014, I want to make a change. I will put my health first. I'll have the discipline of having full 8 hrs of sleep, minimize my coffee intake, morning workouts, and natural ways to create positive energy.
My biggest achievement of the year..
- For the last 25 years, I was unable to swallow pills. I avoided taking medicines in pill form because I could not swallow them whole, due to a childhood trama of swallowing a lollipop. This year, I was able to overcome my fear of choking by slowly training myself and learning what those fears are. I started swallowing small seseme seed sized Folic Acid Supplements with soda, then moved onto ice water, to flat water. I realized that with bubbly drinks, I was able to distract my fears that the pill would not go down my throat and I'll choke to death. I was able to practice this until now, which I can swallow anything under a fish oil supplement, which proves to be rather large. Through a lot of trial and error and choking on water, I was able to overcome this over time, and now makes my life easier if I get sick.
- I was able to bring my boyfriend back to my parent's house in CA. They have never heard of me having a boyfriend until this year, my entire life. It's hard to introduce someone to my strict Asian family, and I feel good about making progress with them. Next year's goal is to tell them that I'll be traveling internationally, which will take some time to break it in to them.
I wish I would’ve done more of..
Balancing my sleeping schedule with work and gym.
I wish I would’ve done less of..
Allowing people to step on my kindness and taking advantage of my "free time." I wish I would've done less of disagreements with my mother. I remind myself everyday that I shouldn't argue with her. I have only one mother, and she always have good intentions in her heart. I just need to see past that. If i was a mom, and my daughter and I fought a lot, I'd be sad.
Something I wanted and got..
A boyfriend that is really compatible with me without me trying hard to compromise and give up myself to make it work.
A valuable life lesson I learned in 2013.
I credit this valuable life lesson to my boyfriend... He has set a good, positive example in my life. I've learned that in every situation, it's really up to you to decide how to look at things. You can choose to look at it from a glass half empty, or look on the bright side and how it's a good learning experience. In 2012, I was a lot more of a complainer, because I did not know how to deal with when people fail to do things the way I see them. I make a genuine effort now to stay positive and not complain about things because I realize by complaining about it, it doesn't change things. I need to focus on the solution, not the problem. I learned that I am the only person that can control my emotions and it's up to me to decide how to react to bad situations. I learned to let things go easier and find ways to improve. I feel that I'm a lot more self-aware now living my life now as a 3rd person, rather than a blinded 1st person, living and causing actions without consequence.
Resolutions for 2014
- Working out in the mornings, running outdoors again
- Get full night sleep, every night. Drink Tea + Baths
- Complete all my Skillshare classes that I haven't started (like 10 of them)
- Read all my book purchases on Kindle
- Learn some coding on Treehouse
- Improving myself at work, be a better Managerical Role model
- Travel to more places that I've never been to (France)
- Buy a Chanel Bag
- Save Money (oh the irony)
- Live life to the fullest, no regrets.